Looking for a low-carb spag bol? These easy-to-make Turkey Meatball Zoodles will become your new favourite. What’s so good about turkey? It’s high in the protein tryptophan that is responsible for producing your sleep hormone – melatonin. Cool, right? This is why it’s one of our go-to recipes for general sleep and mood support (as tryptophan is also involved in producing serotonin, your happiness hormone!).
TURKEY MEATBALL ZOODLES
- 500g turkey mince
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700g jar passata sauce
- 500g zucchini noodles – available at your local supermarket
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, 1 garlic clove, salt and pepper in a bowl. Form into 12 meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add meatballs to pan and cook for 4-6 minutes, turning occasionally until browned on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and gently stir in passata. Simmer, turning meatballs occasionally, until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has thickened (approximately 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and remaining garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve meatballs over zucchini noodles and top with remaining parmesan to serve.