When I was a kid, my mum chopped off my hair. I cried for hours. The result? I didn’t cut my hair again until decades later when I got sick. Now that it’s growing back, I’m still getting used to it and working out how to style it.
Lots of women tell me that they find styling short hair a challenge. It seems that unless you’re Anne Hathaway or Michelle Williams and have your hair stylist on speed dial (we wish!), it’s hard to mix it up with different looks.
We’ve gathered the hottest looks from our favourite celebs who have committed to the chop, to help you achieve a chic stylish do without the salon price tag.
Short or long, why not add a bit of curl to your bob?
- Spritz your strands with a thermal spray – try TRESemme Thermal Styling Heatspray, $7.99 from Priceline.
- Work in a lightweight mousse like Toni & Guy Prep Mousse Volumising Plump, $15.99 from Priceline.
- Blow dry hair, then curl small sections with a curling iron in opposite directions, giving your hair loads of movement and body.
For instant, sleek, wet look hair, nothing works better than gel. Seen on the Spring / Summer 2013 runways, the mermaid mane adds sophistication with little to no effort.
- Dampen hair (this look works best on unwashed hair)
- Spread wet look hair gel from root to tip with a fine toothed comb, to ensure complete and even distribution. We love VO5 Wet Look Styling Gel, $4.49 from supermarkets
- While combing back the hair away from the face towards the nape of the neck, use your other hand to flatten and smooth hair against your skull.
- Once finished, apply more gel to the style
For those of you who have braved it and have a pixie cut, here’s a cute and easy way to play with your natural texture for a more casual look.
- Right when you get out of the shower, towel off your hair and mist with a texturising spray. We love Toni & Guy Sea Salt Texturising Spray, $15.99 from Priceline.’
- Use a natural bristle brush while blow-drying your hair, and curve your front layers in one direction.
- Rub some light styling wax between your fingers to warm it up, and piece out your ends. ‘Try Bumble and Bumble Styling Wax, $42.00 from Mecca Cosmetica.
- Arrange the pieces messily over your forehead and tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears.