I am a recent convert to wearing red lipstick. I blame mum who dressed me in red 24/7 as a kid – nothing like overdosing on a colour to have you avoiding it at all costs for the next 30 years!
But after seeing some of my favourite Hollywood glamouristas – Gwen Stefani, Rachel Zoe, Cameron Diaz, Jessica Alba, Scarlett Johanssen and Megan Fox – looking fierce I wanted in. It’s modern, sexy and strong. Suddenly gloss looks a little last year!
Whilst keen I was a little afraid that I would get it wrong with my complexion and end up looking like an extra from the movie Jaws.
So after a lot of research, and finding success (helloooo MAC in Hot Tahiti!) – here are my top tips for finding the perfect red lipstick:
- Sounds obvious, but try it on! And that means not on your hands. Try it out on your lips.
- Women with fair skin tones (think Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Scarlett Johanssen) usually need red lipsticks with pink undertones. Try Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Dragon.
- Women with warmer skin tones like olive skin (like Salma Hayek, Frieda Pinto or me!) can go for brighter reds with blue undertones. Try MAC Viva Glam 1.
- Women with dark skin tones (including Rihanna, or Kelly Rowland) should go for a deep red colour with warm tones. Try Nars Pure Matte Lipstick in Terre De Feu.
- Be bold! Wear your lipstick with confidence!
And if you need any more inspiration, here are my top celebrity red lipstick looks: